Sunday, February 13, 2011

Some quick catching up

Photo by Scott Thomas
I turn 26 today peeps. Suddenly I feel very old. I know, I know, I'm hardly knocking on death's door but I've been thinking a lot about what I always assumed I would be doing by 26. This was so not it but I guess it just goes to show that life has a funny way of dragging you, kicking and screaming if necessary, in the direction she wants you to go. (PS - look how I rocked the side ponytail back in the day. You know you are a kid of the '90s when...)

News items:

1) I can see pavement again people! The streets are now slush rivers and my car is parked in a newly minted lake but this is such an improvement I can't get that angry. Nor can I really complain that the roads have become obstacle courses to avoid the massive potholes that seem to have developed over the last three months. This may be the first birthday in a long time where the temperature is over 40 and not a flake of snow in sight. I felt the need to record it for posterity.

2) So, I finally watched Avatar this weekend. It was like Ferngully with more slaughter of the natives and no fun Robin Williams-voiced Batty Koda to make me laugh. I mean, kudos to Cameron and his team, the movie was visually stunning and the world they created fully realized which you can't always take for granted anymore in sci-fi films. But the story was definitely unoriginal and the film was so long! I kept wondering if there was an end. I began to get bored somewhere in the middle which is never a good sign. I enjoyed it but it's not going onto my Amazon wishlist any time soon.

3) I finally got around to reading the Betsy-Tacy books that Julie recommend to me eons ago and I am in love. I started with the high school years since Julie thought I'd find those more interesting. Think Anne of Green Gables without a tragic childhood and moved to rural Minnesota in the early 1900s and you'll have the gist of the story. Why did no one tell me about these before?! I had serious reading withdrawal after I plowed through all the Anne books in 6th grade, these would have been perfect! I am making up for it now though - next one up is Betsy Was a Junior

I think that about brings you up to speed. I am off to enjoy my birthday Sunday :-)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Speaking of movies, I really enjoyed The Other Guys. It's pretty silly but in a good way. There were definitely some laugh out loud moments.