Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Grad School is not conducive to blogging...

So, if you haven't figured out by now, graduate school isn't exactly a walk in the park for me. Obviously if nothing else it is time consuming. Besides eating and sleeping, I spend my time reading, doing homework or procrastinating (an exhausting activity in itself I'll have you know).

Apparently there is something called "impostor syndrome" in which you feel completely inadequate and like you do not belong in grad school. I am suffering from this and apparently it's not going away. However, I maintain my class schedule is designed to make me feel like an idiot...

I am an archives and records management major people. I do not need to know nor use algorithms to create encryption codes. I will promise to never attempt to....ever. The thing that irks me about this class is it's whole goal is to make us be able to discuss technical issues with IT people. Personally, this is not the most helpful skill to me and my future career plans. I would think learning basic web design would be more useful. Understanding how to utilize the tools of the Internet for public relations and to better serve researchers and the like. A class like that seems to be more useful to me that being able to simply converse on libraries and APIs and the like. However, I think I may just be frustrated and bitter at the moment.

However, I am approaching the point of the semester where I get to design my schedule for next semester. There is a class on the History of Books. I think it might be a gift just for me. My interest is more along the lines of rare books anyway so I'm going to cross my fingers I get into that class(I am the girl who hugged a first edition copy of Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities while I was in England. I think I alarmed the bookstore owner...). It'll give me something to look forward to anyway!

In other exciting news, it snowed here yesterday morning. Who knew I'd miss Gettysburg's climate?!

No comments: