Saturday, September 11, 2010

You Just Won 22 Million Dollars! What are you going to do now?

Sadly, go to Walt Disney World is not one of your choices in Heather McElhatton's Million Little Mistakes. Since, I had a lot more fun with this book than I expected too. I always loved Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was a kid. Something about being about to read the same book a hundred different ways thrilled the bookworm in me. Last summer, I discovered a Jane Austen choose your own adventure, Lost in Austen, which reminded me of the fun these books could give to the reader. So when I saw Million Little Mistakes up on the Goodreads giveaways page, I thought I'd try for it. And I won!

The premise of the adventure is you just won the lottery. From there, you make your first decision, to keep your job or to quit. Then you are off! I haven't done all the scenarios yet but I'd one quite a few and each seems to get more ridiculous the more outrageous my choices.I think my favorite though was when I became a B-movie film producer for horror movies and died by mechanical crab claw. Like I said, the scenarios are often ridiculous and completely implausible. But entertaining. I had a blast one evening going back and changing my decisions to see where I would end up next. I took a cruise around the world, got fleeced by my family, discovered an ancient treasure, became a vampire...

It's sort of fun to have some control over the story as you read and even when you think you're making the "right" decisions, you find out that maybe being a bit more irresponsible meant you could have kept your fortune. The copy I read gave me an extra challenge as it was an uncorrected ARC so there were no page numbers for the different paths, so I had to fill them in as I went. It was an easy way to keep track of what decisions I had made before so I could follow a new storyline. Also meant I could correct all the typos as I read LOL

Overall, if you're looking for a more interactive reading experience, I would suggest this fun choose your own adventure for adults.

No comments: